In the 1930s, there were few squash clubs outside London and the public schools. Lord Nugent, who had been an MP in the Home Counties, was enthusiastic to see squash clubs set up in the Provinces. By 1935, he had supported the establishment of clubs in Tunbridge Wells and Guildford. He sowed the seeds amongst potential squash players.
Kenneth Brewer was a keen member of Reigate Tennis Club in Manor Road. The club needed £500 to build a new hard court and agreed with Kenneth to sell the land now occupied by the Squash Club. With the help of four local benefactors who provided £125 each and a bank loan of £1100, two squash courts and changing rooms were completed in 1936.
A few years later, the club was requisitioned by the Canadian Army for storage. After the war, the club was soon restarted. The freehold was conveyed to the Trustees in 1952 but it took until the early 1960s to pay off the bank loan.
In the 1970s and 1980s, two further courts were added. During this period, the club had a number of County and International players and developed some juniors who became stars of the future including Danny Lee, now professional at St. George’s and Alison Malynn (nee Cumings) who rose through the ranks to number 4 in the world.
In 1993, the roof over the oldest part of the club was replaced and the bar area refurbished thanks to a grant from the Foundation for Sports and the Arts and a generous loan from David Hodges, a long-standing member and Treasurer.
The Squash Club remains a friendly and committed members’ club which relies on the dedication and enthusiasm of the committee, trustees and volunteers. The club supports a selection of teams ranging from Vintage to Juniors, has an active internal league and a variety of social events.